Here we are at year number three for this kid. Year number three of what you might ask? Why, it’s my January reflection list.
In January of 2019, I wrote this list up on the wall. My list of highlights and lowlights of the month. the first month of the year. A reflection point. A new tradition.
A year later in 2020, I hit repeat. I did again. Oh how life seemed so different back then. Just a year ago. Just one year ago. Life was so different. Who would have known a pandemic was on the horizon. A pandemic that would still be wreaking havoc a year later. Certainly not me. But here is the value of my list.
I have an opportunity to revisit where I was then vs where in am today. Am I still breathing? Yes. Am I still learning? Yes. Am I still celebrating life each day? Yes. Did I suffer loss in the past year? Yes I did. Am I able to share my stories with the world? Yes. Is there a value in the list? Yes.
My value is tremendous to me personally. I didn’t realize it at the time. I didn’t realize how important the calendar reminder I set in Outlook would be either. I just didn’t think my future self would need to revisit the past. I may now realize the past doesn’t define us. Especially if we stumble or make mistakes. However it does shape us. It may even toughen our skin at times. It gives us experience. Life experiences have value.
Below is my 2021 list in no particular order. It’s my honor to share this list with my readers and those who look back at this stamp in time. My virtual time capsule entry.
- I booked a plane ticket.
- I settled an estate.
- I put a house under contract to purchase.
- I put a house under contract for sale.
- I reviewed investment opportunities.
- I got a new certification for my professional life.
- I wrote blog posts.
- I applied for PPP for my small business. An acronym I never knew about a year ago!
- I got a cool new calendar with lots of F$&! words in it for 2021.
- I attended high tea with some sweet friends.
- I planted flowers on my farm.
- I invested in a glamping site.
- I watched my youngest make her first varsity sport in high school.
- I tried meal prep food from a new provider.
- I worked out a bunch training for a national competition.
- I coached some amazing people this month in life.
- I redecorated a cabin on a whim.
- I finished some renovation projects that were lingering.
- I learned to fly a drone.
- I was a big supporter/cheerleader for somebody who needed a big boost.
- I tried new foods.
- I tried to be purposeful in my time.
- I dealt with digital school days.
- I dealt with in person school days.
- I supported those in quarantine.
- I made valiant attempts to stay healthy and corona free.
- I got mad. Plenty of times.
- I felt exhausted after hard workouts.
- I started each day as a new day.
- I committed to writing this list.
- I got my nails done.
The list is by no means all-inclusive. It’s a snapshot. A glimpse. A memory list. I definitely did not know the value my January list would bring me in 2021 when I began this process in 2019. However, here I am excited to turn my life pages to see what 2022 will bring.
No matter what failures or celebrations come my way, I will write about them. It’s my list of I did’s. There is nothing on the list about I didn’t because I always try. Remember I don’t live in the past dwelling on what didn’t go my way. I move on.
New president is yesterday’s news. Corona is a headline of last year. 2020 is a piece of history. My hope is that you make a list. Maybe it’s a February list. Maybe it’s a top five list. Whatever you decide, commit to it. You will enjoy the process. I’m enjoying my process three years later.
No tattoo and no weighted vest yet. Both are in the planning stages. More to follow on those stories in the future.